Jail Questions  Calling 911  Court Questions  Deputy Questions

How do I retrieve items that were recovered or seized?
You can call our Scientific Investigations Unit at (442) 265-2064 and schedule an appointment to retrieve your property. No property will be released without an appointment. All gun releases require a California Department of Justice law Enforcement Gun Release (LEGR) for release.

How do I get a ticket signed off?
All ticket sign-offs require an appointment, and will only be done on the following days:
South County
North County
Salton City

How do I get a copy of a report for my records or insurance?
Call the Sheriff’s records division (442) 265-2125 during business hours 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Please have your report number handy. If you do not have your report number, be prepared to provide the date, time, location and the names of the parties involved.

How can I become a volunteer with the Sheriff’s Office?
Contact our VolunteerServices coordinator, Sr. Deputy Yvonne Naud at (442) 265-2095  for information.

Jail Visitation Questions

Do you have an online listing of inmates in your custody?
Yes- the VINES link lists all inmates in custody.

How can I find out if someone is in custody?
You can call the Jail Information number at (442) 265-2220. They can check to see if someone is in custody.

What days can I visit?
Inmate visitation is based on the Inmate’s housing assignment.
Click here to download the Jail Visiting Hours Schedule
Click here to download important Jail Visitation Rules
Or you can call the inmate visitation number at (442) 265-2220 to find out the visitation days of a particular inmate or visit the following website

How can I get someone bailed out of jail?
The jail accepts bank cashier’s checks for the exact amount of bail, US currency and bail bonds.

What is my court date?
We do not give court date information.

What can I wear to visit?
No low cut shirts, no shorts shorts, and no tank tops allowed.

What can bring to an inmate?
You cannot bring anything to an inmate.

What is VINE Link?
VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) is an automated system that will notify you of an inmate’s release from jail. You must register by using the VINE link to be notified of an inmate released from custody.

When will the inmate be released?
Releases are done when release paperwork is processed.

How much time did the inmate get sentenced to?
We do not give inmate sentence information. The inmate knows his sentence time.

How can I send money to an inmate?
You can mail a money order up to $20, or a bank check for more than $20. The check must be made out to “Imperial County Sheriff’s Office.” Put the name and booking number of the inmate on the check.

What identification is necessary to visit an inmate or leave money?
You need to have a government issued ID with your photo on it.

What identification is necessary to bring a child to visit an inmate?
A parent or legal guardian may bring in a child of an inmate. A legal guardian must bring paperwork showing guardianship.

Can I drop off mail in the front office of the jail?
No- all mail must be mailed through the US Postal Service.

What can I bring in with me when I visit?
You may only bring in your identification and keys to your vehicle. Purses, bags, or brief cases are not allowed.


Court Services Questions

I carry a pocket knife with me, so can I enter the court house with the knife.
You are welcome; however your pocket knife is not.  We recommend that you leave it in your vehicle or at home.

Do I have to submit to the weapons screening?
All persons, including state court employees are subject to the weapon security screening. Your failure to submit to the screening will result in you being denied access to the buildings.

Is there handicapped access to the courts?
Yes, the El Cento, Calexico, and Brawley courthouses all have handicap access.

Where is the public parking located?
The public parking for the El Centro Court is located on the corner of 10th and State Street.

The parking Lot for Calexico is adjacent to the Court facility.
The parking for the Brawley Court is located adjacent to the building.

What’s the physical address for the courts?
El Centro Court is located at 939 Main Street, El Centro, Ca.

Calexico Court is located 415 4th Street, Calexico, Ca.
Brawley Court is located at 220 Main Street, Brawley, Ca.

Calling 911 Questions

911 is an emergency response service provided by the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office to assist the citizens of our county with receiving law enforcement, fire, and ambulance assistance during crisis times.  Sheriff’s Office Public Safety Dispatchers man special emergency phone lines 24 hours a day so that the citizens of Imperial County may receive help as expeditiously as possible.  At the same time as they answer 911 calls, Sheriff’s Office Public Safety Dispatchers also answer non-emergency calls on regular phone lines.

When should I call 911?
911 Emergency calls should be made only in cases such as a crime in progress, a fire, a medical emergency or similar threatening cases. A possible 911 situation can involve something you see – a burglar breaking in to a neighbor’s house, a fire or an automobile accident.  It can also involve what you hear – a woman screaming or yelling, “Don’t hit me again”, gunfire, an explosion or glass breaking.

Is calling 911 when you do not really have an emergency a crime?
YES.  According to California Penal Code 653x, it is a misdemeanor to dial 911 unless you are doing so to report a true emergency.

When should I NOT call 911?

  • To get a Telephone Number:  Call information (411) or check the telephone book.
  • To report a Power or Cable Outage:  Call your local power or cable company.
  • To get Weather Information: Contact the National Weather Service recording at 352-3360.
  • To get Road Conditions:  Contact the California Highway Patrol Automated Road and Weather Advisory at 482-2555 or (800) 427-7623.
  • To get information about School Closings: Check for closures on major television and radio stations or contact the school.
  • To get Directions or an Address: Most streets and maps can be found online using a web site such as Google Maps or Map Quest.
  • To get Household or Automobile Repairs: Contact a repair service of your choice
  • To get Legal Advice: Check the phone book under Legal Services
  • To report an Injured Domestic Animal: Contact a local veterinarian or the Humane Society at 339-6291.

These calls tie up phone lines and 911 Dispatchers; this could delay them from helping someone with a true life & death emergency.

What should I expect when I call 911, and why do Public Safety Dispatchers ask all those questions?
Information helps us better serve you. Keep in mind, Public Safety Dispatchers go through specialized training to help them rapidly and accurately process your call for help.  Some of the questions are always the same:

  •  “911, Where is your emergency?” This question is necessary because the location of the emergency may not be where the caller is at.
  • “What is the telephone number you are calling from?” We need a number to call you back if the phone line gets disconnected.
  • “Is this an emergency?” Dispatchers must often deal with 911 calls for directions, weather conditions or traffic information.  This misuse of 911 is unacceptable, and has the potential of delaying true emergency calls.
  • “What is the problem? Tell me exactly what happened.”It is important for the dispatcher to determine the nature of the call in order to dispatch the appropriate resources (Fire, EMS or Law Enforcement).

Once this initial information is determined, appropriate help can be dispatched.

Though the questions we ask may sometimes seem insignificant to you at the time, they are of great importance to us in guiding the appropriate help when you need it.  Depending on the type of emergency, the dispatcher may need to keep you on the line to provide further instructions or information until help arrives.

By remaining on the line with the 911 Dispatcher and answering all these questions, am I delaying the help that I need?
NO. Be assured that while you are being asked the questions, appropriate help is being dispatched.  In many cases, the 911 dispatcher asks the questions while another dispatcher is sending help.

Why does it sometimes seem like it takes forever for help to arrive?
Often times, this is all relative.  When a person comes under extreme stress such as during a time of emergency, time can often seem to move slower than usual. Time perception can become distorted.  In most cases, first responders arrive on the scene within a short time.

Does your 911 Center have the ability to assist someone who doesn’t speak English?
YES.  The Imperial County Sheriff’s Office E-911 Center utilizes AT&T’s Language Line Service to translate 911 calls from non-English speaking callers. AT&T’s Language Line Service is capable of translating over 170 spoken languages.  With the touch of a single button, the 911 dispatcher connects the caller with this service and remains on the line taking the information as the translator mediates the call.  To see a complete list of languages that AT&T’s Language Line Service is capable of translating, click HERE

Tips for calling 911

Try to answer questions as calmly and clearly as possible. Remain on the phone line until the dispatcher tells you it is ok to hang up.   The more cooperative you are and the more information you provide, the faster help can be dispatched.  Remember, you are not delaying help by answering these questions.  In fact, you are ensuring that first responders have information to better help you. The more information that can be relayed to the responding deputy, ambulance or fire truck, the better and safer the situation can be managed.

It is important that you relay where the emergency is occurring.  At times, you may not know where you are at.  The dispatcher will ask you a series of questions to help you remember where you were headed, what road you took, etc.  Remember, it is your responsibility to take note of what street you are on, what cross street you are near, what mile markers you passed, etc.  Keeping your location in mind will enable the dispatcher to send help more quickly and efficiently.

Post your house numbers. Make sure that they are clearly visible and reflective at night. If you live down a long driveway or path, make sure that your house numbers are indicated at the entrance to the path. It makes it much easier for first responders to find your location during an emergency.

Gather as many facts as you can under the circumstances and write them down so you won’t forget.  When reporting a crime in progress, it is unlikely that the perpetrator will remain on scene and in one place until law enforcement arrives. Take a second look – a minute gathering more complete information may be worth the delay.  By obtaining a detailed description of the person or vehicle, law enforcement will be watching for him/her or vehicle on the way to the call and they can take action if the encounter them before arriving at the scene. If you are describing a person please note the race of the person, whether they are a female or a male, what the person is wearing, color of hair and any outstanding marks, scars or tattoos.  With a car description, a license plate number is great if you can get it or special characteristics such as dents, broken lights.  It will help responding units better identify the suspect vehicle versus just a “red car”

Questions Frequently Asked of Deputies   

Where is the Jail located?
328 Applestill Road, El Centro Ca. It is located directly south of the city of El Centro at the corner of Clark and McCabe, next the Sheriff’s Main Office.

What is the Sheriff’s Office Jurisdiction?
The County of Imperial has a total of 4,482 square miles, 4,175 miles of it is land and 307 square miles of it is water.  The Sheriff’s Office has jurisdiction over all of it.

Why doesn’t the Sheriff Patrol the smaller cities?
The Sheriff’s Office patrols the unincorporated portions of the county and unincorporated towns such as Niland, Seeley, Heber, Winterhaven and the Quechan Indian Nation. The city police patrol the incorporated cities for which they are hired. Sometimes the Sheriff’s Office will assist cities or other agencies when they are overwhelmed or unable to provide the needed service.

What is the difference between a Police Chief and a Sheriff?
The Sheriff is the Chief Law Enforcement Officer for the county. He is elected by the people of the county by general election and is answerable to the people of the county. A Police Chief is responsible for the city for which he is hired. He is appointed to his position by a Mayor, City Council or City Administrator and is answerable to that person or body.

Can a Deputy Sheriff arrest people in the city and give traffic tickets?
Yes. All full time California Peace Officers have police powers throughout the State of California. Typically the California Highway Patrol patrols the highways and the city Police patrol the incorporated cities, but any Deputy Sheriff, Police Officer or CHP Officer can cite or arrest anywhere in the state.

How can I get a copy of my report or find out the status of my case?
Call the Sheriff’s records division (760) 339-6345 during business hours 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday. Please have your report number handy. If you do not have your report number, be prepared to provide the date, time, location and the names of the parties involved.

How can I get a restraining order against someone?
Restraining orders are issued by a judge, restricting contact between individuals. You need to apply for the order at the Imperial County Superior Court House.

How long does it take to have a Deputy respond to my call?
Calls for service are handled by order of priority based on the level of urgency. Crimes in progress, rescues and felonies take precedence over non-violent crimes and reports. Please do not use the 911 system for non-emergency situations.

Do I have to give my name when reporting a crime?
No. We understand that you may not want to be identified by the people you are reporting. You can request that your information be kept confidential or that the deputies not contact you when they respond.

Comments are closed.